Information for students transferring from Primary School to Banovallum in September 2019
No-one can underestimate the anxiety parents feel as their children move up to secondary school. Banovallum prides itself on being a family focused organisation in which the partnership between school and home is absolutely essential to ensuring success for young people. Over the first few months of transition, there are a number of opportunities for us to meet and check that the students have settled and we are more than happy for parents to contact the school by telephone should any issues arise.
Banovallum has a strong reputation for the quality of relationships between staff and students and this is something to preserve. Students are encouraged to see it as their school and they have plenty of opportunities to be involved in the life of the school beyond the day to day lessons.
The transition process we have at Banovallum School:
- Leadership team visit primary schools
- - Meet with the students
- - Meet with teachers
- Bespoke support for individual needs
- Induction day in July- students follow a typical day of lessons
- Induction parents evening- July
- Transition booklet- Students take their transition booklet home to complete over the summer holidays.
- Induction/First day- Year 7s and Year 11 Prefects
- Parents Evening- September/October
How can you support at home
- Parents talking with their children, particularly about school
- Parents having high (but reasonable) expectations of their children
- Parents helping their children develop positive attitudes towards learning and strong work habits
- Parents reading to or with their children
- Problem solving- ask your child to work out the cost the shopping or change from a purchase
For any questions and queries please contact Mr Curtis, Deputy Headteacher.